1. To work as administrative head of the Mechanical Engineering department and works under the direct control of General Manager.
2. To formulate policy on all technical and other matters pertaining to Mechanical Department.
3. To ensure maintenance of all Locomotives & Rolling Stocks in working order.
4. To ensure maintenance and running of all Workshop viz. Mechanical, production and Construction Workshop and Diesel Workshop over the system to derive optimum outputs.
5. To ensure maintenance of Ferry Services over the system.
6. To attend major accidents and other accidents where reports of Joint Enquiries are to be sent to Government Inspector of Bangladesh Railway.
7. To entertain private work orders for Workshops.
8. To prepare Revenue & Development budget for Mechanical Department and to exercise Control over it.
9. To prepare project proforma for all new Projects.
10. To sort out all matters relating to Stores.
11. To certify condemnation of all rolling stocks including boilers.
12. To approve design for alterations modification and conversions.
13. To do any other work assigned by General Manager.
মহাপরিচালক, বাংলাদেশ রেলওয়ে।