1. To work as Principal Staff Officer to General Manager.
2. To remain responsible to General Manager for Personnel and Welfare matters.
3. To remain in charge of Personnel & Welfare Branches.
4. To maintain liaison with Government and other agencies of the Government in matters of Personnel & Welfare.
5. To maintain all confidential records of officers.
6. To look after welfare of staff.
7. To initiate disciplinary action against the employees as and when required.
8. To advise General Manager or training matters.
9. To guide, direct, over-see and control the activities of all the officers of Personnel and Welfare Department.
10. To works as Chairman of Staff Benefit Fund.
11. To look after the functioning/management of Railway Schools.
12. To do any other functions that may be assigned by the General Manager.
মহাপরিচালক, বাংলাদেশ রেলওয়ে।