1. To act as Administrative Head and is responsible to the Director General, Bangladesh Railway for overall administration of the entire Railway under his jurisdiction.
2. To act as an adviser to the Director General/Secretary, Railway Division in all matter and on formulation of policies.
3. To supervise and co-ordinate activities of all Heads of departments and Divisional Railway Managers.
4. To be responsible for the administration and execution of function of the Bangladesh Railway’s Acts, Ordinances, Rules and Regulations and directives issued by the Government from time to time.
5. To remain responsible to the Government for proper functioning and discipline of the entire Railway under his Zone.
6. To provide executive and operational guidance to the field staff and exercise control and supervision over them.
7. To be responsible for issuing clear standing orders laying doen the maximum extent of delegation of powers to the officers serving under him.
8. To represent the Railway and to select representative on his behalf where personal representation is not possible.
9. To allocate duties of officers as and when required.
10. To be responsible for maintaining proper security measures within his Zone.
11. To determine the plan and proced for execution of the development programme with the approval of the Government.
12. To prepare Annual Badget for approval of the Government.
13. To acquire, by purchase or otherwise, properties for the Railway as per existing rules.
14. To Construct or repair any building, equipment.machinery etc. for the Railway subject to the budget provision approve by the Government.
15. Any other duties assigned by the Government.
16. To exercise all other power assigned to him by the Government from time to time.
মহাপরিচালক, বাংলাদেশ রেলওয়ে।