1. To work as Administrative of the Civil Engineering Department and works under the direct control of General Manager.
2. To see that adequate and detailed rules exists in Departmental Mannual.
3. To maintain and renew all Open Line Structural Works.
4. To see that Permanent Way, Bridges and other structures of the Railway are actually maintained at the standard required to satisfy the Government Inspector of Bangladesh Railway.
5. To append a certificate to the annual report of the Railway that the Permanent Way and Works on the Railway had been maintained efficiently.
6. To prepare annual budget both revenue and development and to exercise control over it.
7. To fix up Headquarters of Executive Engineers.
8. To attend site of accidents which require submission of joint enquiry report at the Heads of Departments level.
9. To be responsible for any other works assigned by General Manager.
মহাপরিচালক, বাংলাদেশ রেলওয়ে।