1. To establish operating standards, policies and procedures covering train working marshalling yards, stations and ferry working.
2. To ensure compliance with prescribed standards.
3. To determine priority of movement of freights.
4. To determine guide-lines and principles tobe adopted in the preparation and formation of the time-table for all train services.
5. To provide a feed-back of information to the General Manager specifying standards of performance and punctuality achieved.
6. To recommend research project to investigate specific operating problems.
7. To keep informed the General Manager with the resources, utilisation and operating performance.
8. To respond appropriately to event not programmed within the annual plans.
9. To attend ministrial level meetings as and when required.
10. To hold periodical meetings with the official of food Department and the BADC Authorities for clearance of their traffic.
11. To maintain liaison with the indian Railways for clearance of traffic for India and Nepal.
12. To ensure application and observance of rules and instructions over the system for the safe working of train.
13. To arrange for the reporting of accidents and personal injuries to the Government inspector of Bangladesh Railway.
14. To monitor the train working over the system.
15. To implement action to achieve prescribed targets for passenger punctuality,goods train working,wagon utilisation and marshalling yards performance.
16. To control train working and the employment of train crews over the system.
17. To control and distribute goods and passengers tolling stocks including making them available for maintenance and shopping.
18. To control distribute Locomotive allocated to the Divisions, including making them available for maintenance and shopping.
19. To prepare and implement plans for improved utilisation of resources.
20. To maintain statistics of different kinds of accidents & finalisation of enquiries into suchaccident.
21. To ensure preparation of working rules for various stations and compliance with such rules in day to day train operation.
22. To watch over and monitor the daily loading of government and public goods/parcels and their clearance.
23. To watch over the movement of passenger trains and freight trains round the click in order to achieve target punctality and loading.
24. To prepare statatics of periodicals and monthly/loading, punctuality of passenger trains, turn round of wagon, ferry crossing and accidents etc.
25. To ration fuel consumption of each class of Locomotives and trains.
26. To arrange training of operating personnel.
27. To do any other function that may be assigned by the General Manager.
কাজী মো: রফিকুল আলম
মহাপরিচালক, বাংলাদেশ রেলওয়ে।